BPAY Pty Ltd (ABN 69 079 137 518) (BPAY) recognises the trust you are placing in us through your dealings with us. We do everything we can to maintain that trust. We are committed to the protection of your personal information. Our policies comply with our legal obligations (including those set out in the Australian Privacy Principles) and are intended to protect your privacy as we collect, use, disclose and retain information we gather about you. Our staff and service providers are well trained in these policies. In this policy "our service provider" refers to BPAY Group Limited.
What information we collect and why
(a) Enquiries on the BPAY website (www.bpay.com.au)
When you make an enquiry about BPAY on the BPAY website, you may provide to us:
• your name
• your contact number
• your email address, and
• financial institution.
The personal information you provide in relation to any enquiry will be collected by BPAY to pass to your financial institution for the purpose of responding to your enquiry. BPAY may also disclose your information if required to do so by law, or if you request it to do so.
You may choose to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous, however if you do not provide us with your personal information we may not be able to assist you with your query.
BPAY will only keep a record of your information for backup or administrative purposes. You have a right to request access to information which BPAY holds about you, and to ask BPAY to correct it if you believe it is inaccurate or out of date. Please contact BPAY if you would like to discuss your privacy rights.
(b) BPAY View
When you become a registered user of BPAY View you will provide to your financial information:
• your name and billing address
• your contact number
• your email address, and
• other personal information which your biller requires to register you for BPAY View.
Our service provider collects this information to pass to any biller (including where they or their agents are located overseas) that you have requested to be registered with for BPAY View. Our service provider is bound to use and disclose this personal information only for the purposes of registering you for BPAY View. Your personal information is only stored for the purpose of record keeping to enable us to respond to any enquiry you have in relation to a transaction or registration.
(c) Member and Biller Information
When you become a Member or Biller of the BPAY Scheme or make an enquiry about becoming a Member or Biller of the BPAY Scheme, we will collect the following information about you:
• your name,
• your contact number,
• your email address,
• your financial institution or organisation name,
• your role in the BPAY Scheme,
• your LinkedIn link or other social media profiles, and
• details of interactions with BPAY.
(Note, the personal information you provide in relation to any enquiry will be collected by BPAY to pass to your financial institution for the purpose of responding to your enquiry.)
To assist BPAY in managing and operating the BPAY Scheme and enhance our Members ability to add value and deepen their customer relationships, BPAY collects and stores this information in a commercially available customer relationship management (CRM) system. BPAY may also send you information about our products and services.
The CRM system will store information:
• collected by BPAY from business cards or indirectly from publicly available sources or word of mouth,
• about contacts from their previous financial institution(s) or organisation which will be connected to the new financial institution or organisation which they move to, and
• about relevant social media, including LinkedIn but will only collect and use any information for business purposes, including establishing or maintaining business relationships with their financial institution or oganisation.
BPAY or our service provider will advise you if we receive unsolicited personal information about you.
You have a right to request access to information which BPAY holds about you, and to ask BPAY to correct it if you believe it is inaccurate or out of date. Please contact BPAY if you would like to discuss your privacy rights.
How your information is stored
All your personal details and information in relation to the BPAY Scheme are stored securely by our service provider. Our service provider will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, and modification.
Any personal information which we receive directly is only accessible by authorised personnel trained in privacy and is either:
• destroyed or returned to you if no longer needed, or
• stored securely in either paper or electronic form.
How you can update, correct, or delete your personal information or make a complaint about a Privacy Breach
If you would like to:
• know what personal information we hold about you,
• update, correct or delete the personal information we hold about you, or
• make a complaint about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles
Please contact our Privacy Officer on (02) 9646 9222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at PO Box H124, Australia Square NSW 1215.
Disclosing your information
We understand how important it is to keep your information personal, so when you share your information with us, you are sharing it with us or our service provider. We can disclose personal information we have about you to your financial institution or biller in certain circumstances, eg:
• you agree to the disclosure (eg to publish your details if you win a BPAY competition)
• we use it for the purposes we collected it (eg to investigate a complaint or respond to a query), or
• disclosure is required or permitted by law
It is unlikely that we will disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
Other information we collect
We may also collect the following information from others in a way in which we cannot identify you:
• the date and time you access our website
• the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our site, and
• the site plus the web browser that you are using and the URL.
We use this information to develop a more user friendly information website.
Tips on sending us information
While we do all we can to guard your privacy, no data transfer over the Internet is 100% secure. When you share your information with us, it is at your own risk. There are ways you can help maintain the secrecy of your information:
• always close your browser when you have finished your user session
• ensure others cannot access your personal information and emails if you use a public computer, and
• do not disclose your user name and password to third parties.
This information relates to our current privacy standards. We may vary our privacy standards from time to time. We will notify you of these changes by publishing them on this site.
If something goes wrong
Please contact us on (02) 9646 9222 if you believe:
• someone has gained access to your personal information by mistake
• we have breached our privacy obligations or your privacy rights in any way, or
We will try to satisfy any questions that you have and correct any errors on our part.
Last updated: 10 January 2017.